Sunday, April 20, 2008

first Passover

last year in Guatemala. next year in Jerusalem?


What's not to love about a holiday celebrating the struggle for freedom? You don't have to be Jewish to appreciate the Passover story. We are all slaves, bound by chains of poverty, disability, oppressive government, psychic wounds. Not to mention car seats, high chairs and strollers; I spend half my life in 5-point restraints. I wish I could slip the surly bonds of babyhood (even when it's not good for me.) Like everyone, I long for an ideal of freedom that is impossible.

Passover is about hope. We can't give up, can't give in to despair. There is meaning in the struggle. Passover also is about the power of words. Telling the story of the Jews escaping slavery connects us to people throughout history struggling to be free. Passover is about civil rights and gay rights. Passover is about Darfur, Tibet, Iraq.

Plus, Passover is all about food. Like I said, what's not to love?



Why do we dip parsley into salt water not once but twice?
Beats me. But it's good.

Maggie shrewdly stationed alongside the high chair


a few randomly selected plagues:
Darkness

Beasts

Locusts

Spilling "blood" demands intense concentration

Sammy tucks into matzoh ball soup



Abuela, peel me a grape

Playing with Abuelo aka Bampy

hmmm, why do they call this 'the Bampy face'?



Searching for the Afikomen: getting warmer...
Found it!
I can have my Afikomen and eat it too.
Yeah, we Jews know how to party.


No comments: