Tuesday, April 8, 2008

meet me in the bleachers

Nationality, nationalism, national identity... I get so confused.

I mean, I was born in Guatemala to a Honduran mother. Then,
when I moved to the US with my new mother last October, I
became a U.S. citizen, replete with welcome letter from the White House.
George W says we are bound by principles that move us beyond
our backgrounds. He encourages me to participate fully in our
democracy, to serve my new Nation. Yet as a foreign born citizen,
I can never become president, as he did. And do I want to leave
my roots behind, "move beyond" my Guatemalan and Honduran
background? What would that mean? Is it even possible?

And when I look around the world and see all the wars erupting
in the name of nationalism, I wonder... who needs it? Can I be a
citizen of the world?

But in one nation, I embrace my citizenship without shadows
of ambivalence, confusion or regret:

RED SOX NATION!

Today is the season opener at Fenway Park. Go Dice-K! Go Sox! WooHoo!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cutie,

Your mom forgot to tell you that in Boston, before sitting in the bleachers, one MUST support the Celtics ! My newspaper annonces on this beautiful Sunday morning that (she will translate for you)
NBA: Les Celtics empĂȘchent Atlanta d'atteindre les play-off
Love from over the Atlantic,
-g